Reporting Police Officer Conduct
The Decatur Police Department is committed to providing the very best possible service to our citizens. We set a high standard for professional conduct, with fairness and courtesy as our watchwords. In the event you feel that we may have failed to meet that standard, you may file a formal Citizen Complaint, either in person or on-line. The instructions below detail the in-person complaint process.
**THIS FORM IS ONLY FOR REPORTING OFFICER COMMENDATIONS OR COMPLAINTS. DO NOT USE THIS FORM TO REPORT A CRIME.**
Use the complaint or commendation form to file an officer commendation or complaint online. Please note that you can also use the online reporting system to COMMEND an officer for exemplary conduct or performance.
To file a complaint in person, follow the steps outlined below.
To File a Complaint in Person
- Ask for the Citizen Complaint packet at the front desk at the Decatur Police Department, 707 W. South Side Drive. At this point, you may talk to the Police Supervisor on duty and tell him the nature of the complaint. He has authority to handle minor complaints at the initial contact. To make a formal (written) complaint, you must fill out the complaint form, listing specific allegations along with witnesses and return it to the Police Information Desk. You can also download the complaint packet by clicking the following link: Complaint Packet.
- Upon return of the complaint to the Information Desk, the complaint will be receipted by the receiving officer and a copy will be returned to you.
- An investigation will be conducted and you will be notified of the disposition in approximately 10 days to 2 weeks, depending on the complexity of the investigation. You will be notified if the investigation takes longer.
- If you wish to appeal or bring further information concerning the complaint, you may request an interview with the Chief of Police. You may bring an advocate with you, (friend, family, etc.). You may not bring a committee with you, as this is an informal meeting and excessive numbers of persons tend to diminish effective communications.
- If you feel that your complaint is not resolved at Step 4, you may contact the City Manager’s Office to schedule an appeal interview at # 1 Gary K. Anderson Plaza, or phone 424-2801.