The City of Decatur has launched its owner-occupied Small Home Improvement Program (SHIP) and residents can apply for assistance to make necessary repairs to their homes.
As part of their commitment to Neighborhood Revitalization, the Decatur City Council approved SHIP in September 2022, which is being funded by American Rescue Plan (ARP) monies. The City has partnered with Northeast Community Fund (NECF) in this effort and has allocated $450,000 to start the program. NECF will provide small repair grants – up to $15,000 – to residents of owner-occupied homes in opens in a new windowtargeted low- to moderate-income neighborhoods.opens PDF file
SHIP is an attempt to invest in areas where City staff is starting to see the first signs of housing decline. This is a preventative measure. If we do not assist in these areas now, our housing challenge could continue to spread and more neighborhoods could begin to decline. SHIP aligns with the City’s Owner-Occupied Home Rehab program launched earlier this year. If you were not chosen through the lottery system for the Owner-Occupied Rehab program, you are still eligible to apply for SHIP.
Some of the opens in a new windoweligibility requirementsopens PDF file for homes and applicants include, but are not limited to:
- Home must be located within the designated low- to moderate-income neighborhood ( opens in a new windowsee mapopens PDF file )
- Be a single family, owner-occupied residential property. Properties for sale are not eligible
- Title to the unit must be in the name of the person applying for assistance
- Applicant must have owned and occupied the property for one year prior to the application date
- The title must be free of delinquent liens, taxes, and encumbrances
- Applicant shall not have any outstanding fees, water bills, charges, etc. owed to the City of Decatur
Some of the opens in a new windoweligible repairsopens PDF file include, but are not limited to:
- Roofs, porches, and exterior stairs/steps
- Foundation and structural improvements
- Accessibility improvements for occupants with disabilities
- Repair or replacement of mechanical systems
- Lead remediation
- Exterior painting, trim, and/or fascia
- Tuck point and/or masonry
- Driveways and retaining walls
opens in a new windowSee full list of eligibility requirements and eligible & ineligible repairs hereopens PDF file
opens in a new windowNortheast Community Fund has begun processing the 800 pre-applications they received. If your application is selected, you will receive a letter in the mail inviting you to schedule an appointment with NECF to complete the full application and move forward in the process.
If you have not heard from NECF about your application, then your name has not yet been selected. Please remain patient with us and know we will help as many individuals as we can.